20 Nov Research Training Fellowship for Developing Country Scientists (RTF-DCS)
|Open to selected universities in India||Degree Type (s):Fellowship|
|Deadline:31st December 2018||Full scholarship|
The Government of India, Department of Science & Technology (DST) of the Ministry of Science & Technology (Govt of India) has successfully supported and executed the two Phases (Phase-I during 2008-1012 and Phase-II during 2013-2017) of Research & Training Fellowship for Developing Countries (RTF-DCS) program.
The ‘Research Training Fellowship for Developing Country Scientists (RTF-DCS)’ program is to provide opportunity to young researchers of the developing countries for their capacity building in science and technology through their affiliation with premier academic and research institutions in India to carry out short-term research work. Under the programme, full financial support is provided to the research fellows for their international travel, subsistence allowance, research contingency, domestic travel in India, etc.
The RTF-DCS programme was initiated in 2008 and has been successfully implemented in the last 10 years with the selected scientists having completed their research work in the respective host institutions in India. Considering the persistently high demand from the researchers from developing countries and the keen interest shown by the Indian research institutions in implementing this programme, the number of Fellowships was increased from 20 to 50 per year with effect from 2014-15
The Department of Science & Technology (DST) now invites applications from the eligible researchers of the developing countries for the 3rd Phase (1st April 2018- 31st March 2023) of the RTF-DCS scheme.
1. Full financial assistance will be provided to the selected Fellows which will include the following:-
a. Round trip international airfare @ Rs. 60,000/- (on actuals) by excursion/ economy class and by shortest route from the international airport in the home country to the international airport nearest to the host institution.
b. A consolidated Fellowship amount of Indian Rupees (INR) 50,000 per month (non-taxable) for accommodation, meals and other miscellaneous expenses
c. One-time grant of INR 30,000/- (subject to actual) for research contingency expenses, chemicals and consumables, airport transfers and domestic travel for attending conferences / seminars etc in India;
d. Overhead charges of Rs. 20,000/- to Indian host institute
The allowances as in (b) and the actual expenditure as in (c) will be released to the host institution for disbursement to the RTF-DCS Fellow.
The host Institution will arrange appropriate accommodation for the Fellow on payment basis.
2. The selected Fellow will take an appropriate policy for health insurance coverage for the period of stay in India. The cost for taking the insurance policy is not reimbursable under the scheme.
The FICCI, New Delhi will purchase the air ticket for his/ her travel to India only after receiving the insurance policy document of the selected Fellow.
The selected Fellow must take vaccinations (such as Yellow Fever, Polio etc.), as may be required under Government of India guidelines.
3. Individual Fellow, or his/ her government / institution, is required to bear the following costs:
a. All expenses in the home country incidental to travel abroad, including expenditure incurred to obtain passport and visa and for medical examinations and vaccinations as may be required as well as other miscellaneous expenses such as internal travel to/from the international airport of departure in the home country.
b. Salary and other related allowances in the home country, if applicable, during the Fellowship period.
c. Cost towards the medical insurance to cover the period of Fellowship in India.
4. Neither DST nor the host institution in India will assume any responsibility whatsoever for the following expenditure of the Fellows during the tenure of the Fellowship:
a. Visa Fee.
b. Insurance, medical bills or hospitalisation fees.
c. Compensation in the event of death, disability or loss of personal belongings or compensation for damage caused by climatic or other conditions.
d. Travel and other costs incurred by the dependents, who might accompany the Fellows.
Number of awards:
Sixty (60) scientists and researchers from the developing countries will be selected this year under the RTF-DCS Scheme to get affiliated with Indian academic and R&D institutions.
The Fellowship will be for a period of six months, but minor variation in the duration may be allowed with prior approval of DST depending upon the actual requirement of the research project as mutually agreed between the Fellow and the host institution.
Field of Study
India has a vast and excellent infrastructure for Education and Research in Science, Technology and Engineering. There are 744 universities and extensive networks of more than 5700 S&T Institutions, including several of national importance. Most of these are Government supported and cover virtually every branch and facet of science, technology and engineering.
Fellowship will be offered for working in research topics under any of the following broad disciplines:
2.Biological and Medical Sciences
4.Physical Sciences and Mathematics
7.Materials, Minerals and Metallurgy
8.Multi-disciplinary and Other Areas
The following are the eligibility criteria:
1. Applicant should possess at least a Post Graduate Degree in any Natural Science subject or an equivalent degree in Technology / Engineering / Medicine / allied disciplines.
2. Applicant should be working / studying and / or affiliated to any national R&D or academic institution in his/ her home country. The application should be endorsed by the Head of his/ her institution confirming that if selected, he/ she will be sanctioned leave for the Fellowship period and will join his/ her duties back in the institution on completion of the Fellowship in India.
3. The upper age limit for the applicant is 45 years as on date of submitting the application form.
4. Indian nationals are not eligible for the Fellowship.
Open to candidates from developing countries
Based on academic merit
How to Apply:
For details on how to apply please visit: Apply for Research Training Fellowship for Developing Country Scientists (RTF-DCS)